Tuesday, November 5, 2013

CFC C2C (campus to campus) 100k Ultra run


I have the proud distinction of serving this year as the CFC coordinator for the VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System. The Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) is a government-authorized form of solicitation to employees in the federal workplace on behalf of charitable organizations. It’s been around since 1961 and since that time, Federal Employees have donated over $7 billion through the CFC to a list of federated and independent charities on the local, national, and international level. There are literally thousands of charities who take part in (and in many cases, depend on) the CFC drive that occurs every fall. Name a charity and there’s a good chance you can donate to it via CFC.
On Wednesday November 6th, I will run from the Colmery-O’Neil VA Medical Center in Topeka, Ks to the Eisenhower VA Medical Center in Leavenworth Ks., covering 100-kilometers (62 miles) over gravel and dirt country roads, urban trails, levee trails, and even a couple of miles of pavement. 

A few other runners from VA Eastern Kansas will shuttle out to join me for different sections of the route. We’ll have a support vehicle loaded up with ultra-running goodies and ready to serve as both a safety vehicle and a rolling aid station. Updates on our progress as I move across Eastern Kansas will be placed on the VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System's face book site.  
Why am I doing this? (I’m sure I’ll ask myself that question more than once on Wednesday). The idea spawned from some early CFC planning meetings and some gentle “prodding” from those who know of my other life as an Ultra runner. During the current climate of Government shutdowns, furloughs, and uncertainty, the “buzz” has been that CFC could experience a tough year when the reality is that charities may need help now more than ever. If I can use my ability to run all day to help “make up some ground”, I feel compelled do so.   Times may be tough, but the need remains.  So I’m running for CFC awareness and promotion, I’m running for my chosen charity, and if you're a federal employee eligible to give to the CFC, I’d like to run for your charity too!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment