Thursday, October 20, 2011

Better late than never: Gray’s & Torrey’s Peak back in August

Ok, so I’ve been pretty busy and just never got around to posting more from the Colorado trip. (sigh) The life of a graduate student…besides, I’d rather trail run than write about trail running. So, even though it was so long ago as to now be nearly irrelevant, I’m gonna do a post anyways. If nothing else, my brother John deserves a shout out for his efforts on the mountain. But to keep it brief, (I am training for the Lake Perry Rocks! 50K, after all…and did I mention grad school?), this post will be in pictures. So here we go…

Early start. Headlamps & moonlight
Gray's Peak (left) & Torrey's (right) in a little alpenglow.
 The trail was seriously rocky but runnable.
John movin fast with Kelso mountain in the background.

Halfway up Gray's looking over at Torrey's
A good look at the connecting ridge from Grays to Torreys.
John & I on Gray's Summit
Some tired jerk on top of Torrey's Summit

It was a pretty good day. I'm not used to being on a mountain with so many other people. I usually explore mountains a little farther from Denver. From what I'm told, the fifteen or sixteen other groups we saw is far less than what one typicaly finds on these peaks. Still, judging by the reactions I encountered, I'm pretty sure we were the only ones running it (...at least parts of it!). Perfect weather, perfect conditions, great workout and we were back in Westminster in time for lunch.

Next up, the Lake Perry Rocks! 50K Trail Ultra on Saturday. I'm a little banged up but the taper is going well. I should be rested and ready to go...(so stoked).

See you on the trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment