Friday, December 16, 2011

10th Annual Alternate Chili Run: Wyandotte County Lake, Ks.

After the Lake Perry 50k, I decided to lay low through November in an effort to get healthy. I only ran a total of 180 miles in the month of Samhain. It was also the first month of the year that I didn’t race or run an ultra, so when December came around I was feeling healthy for a change. I decided to run in the KC trail Nerds Alternate Chili Run at Wyco Lake last Saturday.

A Lunar Eclipse to start the day
The MARA Chili run is a road race held on the eight mile paved loop at Wyco. It’s been held there for years. A decade ago, Trail Nerd founder Ben Holmes and a couple running buddies held an unofficial chili run at the same time on the 10.35 mile Psycho Wyco trail (absolutely OFF-pavement) and a tradition was born. Ten years later the Alternate Chili runners nearly outnumber the “roadies”. It’s not a race but a run with multiple pace groups. It’s kind of become a preview or “a taste” of the Psycho for anyone contemplating entering February’s Psycho Wyco 50k. There’s also usually a bunch of first time trail runners ready to be converted.  Overall, it’s a great time on the trails with great company and no pressure to push a very fast pace (I was going to say a “relaxed” run, but there is no relaxing on this course…ever).


Anyway, it was fun to see a bunch of the area runners I’ve raced with over this past year and talk about our 2011 runs and what our 2012 plans are. (I’m always humbled by what KC area trail runners are out there accomplishing)! The alternate chili run was a great day on the trails and a good way to wrap up an “easier” training month.


Now…it’s time to pick it up!


So far my plans for 2012 start with Coleen’s Frozen Ass run in January. I ran this last year as my first 50-mile run and am planning on getting 50-miles again this year. The Psycho Wyco Run Toto Run 50k is in February (toughest 50k in the mid-west!).  I’ll be shooting for my 6th consecutive finish there. Then there’s the Pi-river rotation ½-marathon in March followed by the Free State 100k in April. I’d also like to do the Hawk 50-miler this year depending on how fast I recover from Free State. And I can’t forget about the Psycho Psummer 50k, either.   


All in all, sort of a repeat of last year’s schedule….until my 1st 100-mile race attempt in the fall. I haven’t decided which race yet but I’ve narrowed it down to two: The Arkansas Traveler 100 or the Mark Twain 100 in Missouri…. I’d love to hear from anyone with experience at the Traveler 100 or with the trails of the Mark Twain (since it’s an inaugural event).


Anyway, gotta catch some zzz’s. Finals just ended after kickin’ my tail and in the morning I’m hittin the Clinton Lake North Shore for a 25-mile loop.


Thanks to Dick Ross for the Chili Run photos, thanks to Ben Holmes and the Trail Nerds for another awesome event and thanks to all my fellow runners Saturday for the camaraderie and motivation!


See you out on the Trails!
Kickin it pre-race. Somebody told Dick I looked like Geoff Roes....
Clearly they hadnt seen me run...
I actually look more like Danny DeVito 

No comments:

Post a Comment