Monday, January 24, 2011


January 17th – 23rd  A Rough Week of Training:  
 Snowballs and Questions: Looking for Motivation.

           Something I’ve learned about myself as an ultra runner is that I typically experience a let down following a race or big event.  If I've raced well or accomplished a predetermined goal, there comes a day or so of exuberance followed by a general loss of motivation. Not held exclusively to running, this “post-partum” has hit me following mountain climbs as well. I suppose it’s only natural that when you’ve been planning, training, and basically obsessing over a race or a big climb, everything that immediately follows can just seem anti-climatic.  The challenge is to find something that snaps you out of the “funk”; unfortunately, the next race is not always a good enough motivator.  

        So this last week the funk was still in full effect.  Two weeks removed from my first 50 mile race and with the highly anticipated Psycho Wyco Run Toto Run 50K less than a month away, you’d think I would be up and hitting on all cylinders. However, all this week I felt like I was moving in slow motion and the stop-watch confirmed that I was. The dismal week culminated in disgrace as I dropped from a K.C. Trail Nerd group run Saturday at Wyco Lake because I couldn’t keep the pace. I slowed down and fell back after only a couple of miles! Disgusted, I ran my slowest loop ever on that course.  Part of my slug-like pace can be attributed to the deep snow that blankets all of the local trails. The area has gotten a ton of snow. In fact, our snow fall totals are 10 inches above the norm for the month. Running without snow shoes in these conditions is hard work and can really suck the energy out of your legs.

        Of course, neither the post race mental let-down nor the deep snow can take all of the blame. The big events really do leave me physically worn out and in need of some legitimate recovery time. However, after Coleen’s Frozen Fat Ass on January 7th & 8th (see the last post), I dropped my mileage total for the week to a paltry 24 miles of easy recovery jaunts on non-technical trails. Maybe one easy week wasn’t enough. I’m still learning what works and what doesn’t in training so maybe a 50-miler warrants a longer “bouncing back” period.

        So, humbled at Wyco the day before, I decided to do one more trail run for the week on Sunday. I had to gain some measure of redemption and prove I could run a decent pace through heavy snow.  I struggled through the mountain bike and horse trails of Kill Creek with the same lack of aplomb that was starting to become familiar.  Feeling a little dejected, I got home just as my two toddlers; Alyena and Ayden, were getting their snow gear on with an intent to run through the deep snow in the backyard. Much to my wife’s approval, I volunteered to serve as their guide since I was already “snowy”. As we ran around the yard, I was drilled by 3-year old Alyena about the trails. “How far did you run?”
         “Pretty far” I said.
         “What did you see?”  
         “A hawk” I answered.
         “What else?”
         “Some deer”
         “What else?” (and so on for awhile…)
         “Daddy run” added two year old Ayden as his sister nailed me with a surprisingly well packed snow ball.
         “Maybe someday I can run with you and see a bobcat” said the girl with the cannon for an arm and suddenly just like that, the funk was snapped. It’s not always about recovery, or pacing, or upcoming races or weekly mileage totals, sometimes it’s just the simplicity of running…and snowballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment